Working At Height Courses
Working at HeightIPAF/MEWP Operators
01427 678 660

PAT vs EICR: Which Electrical Testing Do You Need?

While both refer to electrical testing, which one do you need? We run through the main difference between each test.  

What exactly is PAT Testing? 

PAT, or Portable Appliance Testing (now officially known as In-Service Inspection & Testing of Electricalcovers electrical appliances such as kettles, power cables, tower PCs and monitors, whether these are plugged in or hard-wired. Many safety defects are obvious on visual inspection, but some can only be found during thorough annual inspections.

And what is EICR?

An EICR, or Electrical Inspection Condition Report, is like an MOT for your electrical installations. Wires, meters, isolators and lighting might not be something you think about wearing out, but time and use take their toll on everything. EICRs ensure these systems are in good condition and in line with the Electricity at Work Act (1989), and BS 7671 requirements for Electrical Installation keeping things safe for use (and your insurers happy).

So, what’s the difference?

In short, an EICR covers the electrical system in your building up to the socket, and a PAT covers everything after the socket. 

Which one do I need?

Both are incredibly valuable services for ensuring that your premises are safe and that your insurance will fully cover you if something goes wrong.

Don't wait until it's too late. Schedule a PAT or EICR test today to ensure your building's electrical systems are safe and compliant.

How do I book or find out more information?
For more information or a no-obligation quote, call Stallard Kane’s Compliance Team on 01427 420 404 or email


The information and any commentary contained within these updates are for general information purposes only and do not constitute legal or any other type of professional advice. Stallard Kane does not accept and, to the extent permitted by law, exclude liability to any person for any loss which may arise from relying upon or otherwise using the information contained in these blogs. If you have a particular query or issue, you are strongly advised to obtain specific, personal advice about your issue and not to rely solely on the information or comments in these updates.
Let's talk about how we can help you, call our specialist UK based support team on:
Let's Talk